1479 Autobots

Transformers and Philosophy: More than Meets the Mind
Geoffrey Allan Plauché, Liz Stillwaggon Swan, John R. Shook
Progress: 12/384pages

Love, love, love

Valerian & Laureline - Volume 1 - The City of Shifting Waters - Jean-Claude Mézières, Jean-Claude Mézières, Pierre Christin

I snapped this up for free on Comixology, because I'd seen the movie trailer at Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, which my dad took me to recently.   (Or rather, I asked if he wanted to go and he did, as he'd enjoyed volume 1.)

He wasn't crazy about the preview, but I thought it looked awesome, and it's directed by Luc Besson.  Sweet!   So I was excited to read this, and it was pretty awesome.   Some slight shade is thrown at Laureline, and I almost commented on it, but kept reading.  There's snark about letting women be time travel police and she jovially says it's because she can cook, and so on and so forth.   That seemed to be them just kidding around more than shade throwing, as I'd first thought.   (Still, it seems odd that Laureline is called out, as are women, without the opposite being true.   She was still on the defensive pretty much all the time, and even though she could take care of herself, I was still not happy with this line of questioning or the way that the genders were treated unevenly.)   Still, she seemed pretty strong and I appreciated that, at least.  I can't even be like 'oh, well, that was just the time period and realism' because Valerian and Laureline are from the fricking future.   Thus them being time police.  I mean, that's not what they're called in this, but when you boil it down to the basics that's what they are.

I also wasn't crazy about this particular art.  The style usually works for me, but this was a little too wonky for me.   That being said, I'd say I took off half a star for the misogyny and half for the art.   Otherwise, though, I liked this.   Valerian is sent back to 1986 to stop a criminal from his time from changing the past in his favor.

Laureline gets caught up in all the time-jumping antics, as they try to save their future, the future that they know so well.   There are robots, who are evil and stealing things, and that goes about as well as I'd expect for the 'bots.   (Sadness, but it makes sense narratively!)