1480 Autobots

Hannibal Tabu, Michael Turner
Progress: 6/31pages
Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (2016-) #1
Robbie Thompson, Rafael Albuquerque, Javier Rodriguez

I wanted to love this five stars worth

America (2017-) #1 - Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones

Again, I like America.  I really, really loved her in Young Avengers, but that whole run was amazing.  And I keep reading great things about Gabby Rivera's novel; she is Latina, queer, and a writer who's book was lauded by Roxanne Gay.   So I went into this, figuring it probably would be five stars.

I ended up liking this, loving some of the concepts, but not quite enough to give it five stars.   America wants to go to college to better herself, and her girlfriend, Lisa, has suddenly decided not to make the move with her.   America is angry, mostly because they'd spoken about this before and Lisa always seemed to be fine with this plan.   I want you to be happy, Lisa says, but I think this is your journey and not mine - and I only said I'd go so you'd be happy.   I actually like that Lisa realizes that she can't sacrifice her own happiness or journey for America's, and I think that's healthy.   I don't think America had the best reaction ever, although I understand why she lashed out like she did: she was blindsided, and truly cares for Lisa.   Losing her so suddenly must be crushing and it's not a huge shock that anger was her reaction.

I kinda liked the college she goes to, because it's for superheroes, or ex-mutants who are geniuses, and it's got the whole Xavier vibe: holomatter, taking powers into account, etc.   It's Xavier's for college students.   And yet when the resident ex-mutant who is a genius - Prodigy - shows up, I wanted it to be more.   See, he's not going to be America's new relationship, but he knows her.   And while I enjoyed seeing him again, I also felt that I liked Lisa and America's interaction better: they didn't take shit from each other, but they clearly loved each other very much.   (Lisa isn't angry at America for saving the world, but if she doesn't get word for two hours at a restaurant, she'll take it upon herself to go home and get shit done instead of waiting around.)   Prodigy just fell flat compared to Lisa, so...

Also, the meta in going into an old comic book at the end didn't feel nearly as clever as Deadpool.  Which means that, yet again, I was comparing it to something within Marvel that I enjoyed more.

And maybe, just maybe, how sore I am from that Pilates class is making me grumpy.  I'm still gonna go online and see if I have some Pilates I can do at home until I see about what I can do at Simmons.