441 Autobots

Grimlock ♥ Prince Robot IV

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1
Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, Alex Milne, John Barber, James Lamar Roberts
Progress: 16/272pages
Avengers: Absolute Vision - Book Two (Avengers (1963-1996))
Progress: 98/360pages
Progress: 67/516pages
Batman (2016-) #40
Stephen King, Jordie Bellaire, Joëlle Jones
Dan Uri, Dennis Eisenberg
Vision: The Complete Series (Vision: Director's Cut (2017))
Stephen King, Mike Del Mundo, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Michael Walsh
Amie Stuart
Progress: 14%

An AU of an AU!

Spider-Gwen (2015-) #18 - Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez

In comics, alternate universes tend to spawn other alternative universes.   After all, once you've opened that box of what ifs, it's too intriguing, too fun, to play around with what might have been and what might yet still be.   And in this case, it's a future in which Miles Morales and the Spider-Woman who is Gwen Stacy end up together.   There's enough inside jokes about trouble with multiverses - the very thing that almost destroyed the whole Marvel universe - for this to feel truly playful with the whole idea.   It's not quite meta, but it has that same cheeky flavor, and I like it.

Once again, this takes a good, hard look at this character - and in this case what might be.   Even though we don't really see future Gwen, and really only see her children, and future Spider-Ham (who tells us about future Gwen), we get a feel for what she might be like.   She's beloved as she is because she has a big heart, and she seems to have not changed one bit: still beloved because her heart is as big as ever.   Some AUs are simply depressing, but this one is full of warmth and compassion, so it seems to fit Spider-Gwen's title very nicely.

I got a little hung up on that aspect.   The story is as good as ever, but my two favorite aspects of this are Gwen herself and Matt Murdock, for the polar opposite reasons.   Gwen is a young woman who's searching on how to best do the right thing, but she's always full of hope and compassion and love for her fellow man.   Perhaps not all of them all the time, but in general.   She's smart, and is willing to put her ass on the line, even without her powers when need be.   And while she makes mistakes with horrible consequences, she tries to learn and always, always strives to do better when she makes those mistakes.   She's fallible, as her dealings with Murdock in particular prove: he knows how to use her father, her weak point, against her.   He's the only real family she has right now, and will do anything to protect him, even when she knows she's dirtying herself by allying herself with certain enemies - like Murdock.

I like Murdock because he's not only her counterpoint, but a Matt Murdock run amok: without those strong sense of morals, what might he have done?   He'd have turned into this creepy bastard, most likely, and it's both chilling and thrilling to see him like this.

Love, love, loooove!