1489 Autobots

Progress: 67/516pages
Batman (2016-) #40
Stephen King, Jordie Bellaire, Joëlle Jones
Dan Uri, Dennis Eisenberg
Vision: The Complete Series (Vision: Director's Cut (2017))
Stephen King, Mike Del Mundo, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Michael Walsh
Fred Van Lente, Steve Kurth, Jamal Igle
Progress: 65/154pages
Amie Stuart
Progress: 14%
Starting Out with Python (4th Edition)
Tony Gaddis
Progress: 248/744pages

Zombies vs. Robots (2015-) Vol. 2: War! 'Bots! - Chris Ryall, Lucy Ryall, Paul Davidson, Ashley Wood, Antonio Fuso, James McDonald, Valentin Ramon, James Kochalka, Nico Peña

This is a series that I read mostly for the robots, although people tend to call them 'warbots.'   And they are just that, meant to fight off the zombie invasion.   I forgot that I was reading out of order, and that this was volume two, but the story was cohesive on it's own, although I'm sure I missed specific incidents they referred to: the editor's notes told me which issues I missed them in, after all!

Other than being fine as a stand alone, this was a lot of fun.   The series doesn't take itself too seriously, for one thing, although it does focus on telling a fun story with solid characters while poking fun at itself in how ridiculous this whole thing gets.

The art is lush in its painterly scope, although not color wise: muted colors reflect the horror of the world that's been created, adding to the creepy sense of this whole thing, adding a sense of gravitas that was, on occasion, missing in the writing.   Not to say that 'missing in the writing' was a bad thing; I liked how flippant this could get despite the desperate situations.   Not only that, a more serious art style - like the toned down color scheme - and the outrageous elements in the writing ended up matching up perfectly, one keeping the other in check.

It felt neither too serious, nor too silly, but ended up a balance of both that simply appeals to me.   I'm looking forward to catching up on volume one, since I ended up getting both on sale along with the Undercity volume and simply ended up reading out of order...