1475 Autobots

Progress: 122/355pages
A Long December
Richard Chizmar
Progress: 20%
Victory of Eagles (Temeraire)
Progress: 384/384pages
G.E.N.I.E.
Michelle Knight
Progress: 12/258pages

Not as good as Origin II

Wolverine: Origin #1 (of 6) - Paul Jenkins, Andy Kubert, Joe Quesada, Richard Isanove

I read this a while ago and reread this just to see if I still found it less compelling than Origin II.  I do.   It's not bad, not by any means, but without any human interaction at all?   Origin II still made me feel more.

This issue felt like it was throwing so many things at me, still managed to feel slower paced than Origin II #1, and I simply wasn't as interested in some of the characters.   Also, the fact that Wolverine likes Jean because of Rose will always make that thing he had creepy on a level that will haunt me forever.

So, yeah, I liked it more than a three star read, but not as much as many comics that I read, so I figure I'd settle on a four star rating.   This is the history of Wolverine, from when he was a child to, well, long before the X-Men are even formed.   It's the story of his father, his grandfather, the companion - a girl named Rose - that they hire for him because he's too sickly to often leave the house or have other company his age.   His father is marvelous to him, his mother is absent, and his grandfather manages to be one of the nastier characters I've run across the Marvel universe without being full out, take over the world evil.

All in all, it's a compelling coming-of-age story, and I remember it getting more compelling as the run went on.   It just never was a favorite, and I'm guessing that since memory served me well enough for issue one, it'll serve me well enough for issue two.