6 Autobots

BATMAN #52 ((DC REBIRTH)) ((Regular Cover)) - DC Comics - 2018 - 1st Printing
LeeWeeksBatman52, TomKingBatman52
BATMAN #51 ((DC REBIRTH)) ((Regular Cover)) - DC Comics - 2018 - 1st Printing
LeeWeeksBatman51, TomKingBatman51
Infinity Wars: Iron Hammer (2018) #1 (of 2)
Al Ewing, Humberto Ramos
Champions (2019-) #3
Jim Zub, Jacinto Benavente

Science. Bad.

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad - Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra

The Manhattan Project - tagline Science.  Bad. - is a new take on the actual Manhattan Project: what if it had been set up to hide the true science, the impossible weapons they create - not bombs, but imaginary weapons they bring into existence.  It's about other worlds, parallel universes, and yet it's sort of history based.   Real people, real events, but new fictional history surrounding them.   It doesn't even try to pretend that it's historically accurate, however, as it uses historical events to its advantage.

This could be tricky.   When you turn humans who did exist, and have them irradiated, have them be unbalanced, you risk offending people on their behalf.   But I don't think this comic even pretends to be true to the people.   Oh, it does in some ways, but Oppenheimer's backstory in this?   Explains away so much that would otherwise be offensive, and seem to be speaking ill of the dead.   (I can't tell you that without spoiling it, though!)

This walks this fine line, takes what risks it can, and possibly some that shouldn't work when you think about them.   But never once did I feel uncomfortable reading this work: it takes some uncomfortable situations, exploits them, and does so with such force of will, with such knowledge that this is an impossible, alternate history that I was only really bothered when real life came calling to take me away from this.

There's also a sense of whimsy in this, in taking horrific real life situations and making them so fantastic, and I can't quite fit that puzzle piece in.   It takes history, and real life horror, and yes, plays with it, and this works partially because as much as it does so, it doesn't take away from the horror by showing an alternate 'this is what happened to the victims.'   It would be too much, and adding the impossible elements would make me feel uncomfortable  - much more so than them showing the suffering - because it would feel too much like deletion of that history.   (Look, everything else is impossible, so can't this suffering and pain be impossible or exaggerated, too?)   And maybe I'm sensitive to that fact due to Holocaust deniers, but I would feel very uncomfortable seeing that suffering through the prism of this graphic novel.

Not only that, there is enough in this graphic novel that it might be too much to show the other side as well.   There's an exploration of science, of human nature, of impossible concepts, and it's pretty jam packed.

To say nothing of the art.   Ah, the art.   The art is lovely and while I am attracted to colors and shading, it was particularly noticeable in this graphic novel.  Some scenes are drenched in blue and red - as in those are really the only colors used - while some are glaringly bright in their full spectrum of colors in comparison.   And this is because certain scenes are narratively different, and using the graphics to show that?   Absolutely brilliant!

I loved everything about all of this collection.  I'm looking forward to reading volume two.