1489 Autobots

Progress: 67/516pages
Batman (2016-) #40
Stephen King, Jordie Bellaire, Joëlle Jones
Dan Uri, Dennis Eisenberg
Vision: The Complete Series (Vision: Director's Cut (2017))
Stephen King, Mike Del Mundo, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Michael Walsh
Fred Van Lente, Steve Kurth, Jamal Igle
Progress: 65/154pages
Amie Stuart
Progress: 14%
Starting Out with Python (4th Edition)
Tony Gaddis
Progress: 248/744pages

Becky Cloonan is a favorite Punisher author

The Punisher (2016-) #14 - Becky Cloonan, Matt Horak, Declan Shalvey

In fact, just a favorite author.  I picked up other works by her - in mystery bags of comics, I believe - and loved them.   I picked up this because Punisher, knowing that Cloonan could do The Punisher justice.   In fact, she out wrote my expectations, making this more violent than I had thought she would.   (The Punisher is violent.   Frank Castle is all muscle and created to be a literally huge revenge fantasy and I'm okay with that.)   And because the villains of this piece are such scum - so indiscriminately violent, so callous about the harm they cause - it's just all that much more satisfying to see Castle just as brutal when he dispatches them.

Somehow, seeing him stop to help a woman jogging is just perfect.   See, Castle stops to enjoy a hotdog but when there's a blackout, well, human nature takes a nosedive.   A woman is harassed by men watching her jog and when she calls out for help, well, Castle ditches the dog and saves the woman.   (Also, the fact that he hands the hotdog to a homeless man is just perfect: he could have tossed it, but he manages to be a fanatic serial murderer who only wants to keep people safe, and do one good deed right after another in this issue.)

He also hears gunshots and well, you know Castle can't stay out of that bullshit.   And it is bullshit.   It's more women getting threatened, too, although this time it isn't for sexual purposes.   It's for power and money, and Castle deals with this just as brutally as he does with the trio of men harassing the woman jogging in the park.  He doesn't care why you're threatening women, men, or puppies: you're doing it, and you're going down.

He also goes after the people who hired the  men to get the artifact from the museum.   Two women are threatened, but in different situations: one white woman jogging, one black woman working.   The situations are treated the same.   There are differences in how they're handled, but only because there's a chain of command to go up in one situation.   On the surface, it was all about the same thing everything Castle does: innocent people are being hurt or abused or threatened.   He takes no prisoners and leaves behind blood and body parts when going after them.

Still, after the longer storyline, it's nice to see a couple one shots.   I like the immediate punishment.   It's a nice breath of air and the real problem with the longer Punisher stories is that I want that immediate gratification.   Cloonan does what other authors do in the case of the longer storylines: has Castle work his way up the chain so there's at least a body count which is somewhat satisfying.   The real satisfaction comes from the big bad getting his own in the end, and there's no wait in issues like this.

Also, she had a Usain Bolt reference and someone in my family was talking about Bolt less than 24 hours after I read this, and when I laughed they asked why and I had to explain/relieve the awesomeness that was this issue again.

Also, The Punisher has a really hot car.   So apparently Cloonan is going to start adding in sex appeal for me and I can live with that.  I would read The Punisher's Car, by the way, even though I know Cloonan would never get Marvel to okay that.   In case she's working on it, I would read about his car.   All the time.