445 Autobots

Progress: 148/432pages
Transformers Robots in Disguise: Where Crown City Comes to Life
Caroline Rowlands
Progress: 3/32pages
Avengers: Absolute Vision - Book Two (Avengers (1963-1996))
Progress: 98/360pages
Progress: 67/516pages
Batman (2016-) #40
Stephen King, Jordie Bellaire, Joëlle Jones

A favorite

Vigilante by Marv Wolfman Vol. 1 (Vigilante (1983-1988)) - Chuck Patton, Don Newton, Keith Pollard, Marv Wolfman, Ross Andru, George Pérez

I'm absolutely hooked on this series.   See, I want my vigilante's to train, to work for their skills, or in the case of the Punisher to have prior training.   A huge pet peeve of mine is someone who is injured, or loses their family, and suddenly has the skillz to dodge bullets, or even just take the pain of being shot.  Unrealistic, my brain screams at me.   (There are exceptions, like The Crow, in which the supernatural change each Crow host goes through allows me to simply accept their sudden change, and skills.  I'd say Adrian Chase, aka The Vigilante, goes through the physical training as well as having a supernatural twist that allowed me to go, 'yes,' and accept the short time in which it took him to acquire his skills.)

Adrian Chase is a DA who loses his family, goes away for a long time, and comes back a changed man, more so than most people expect.   Instead of going back to his job, or working for his family getting criminals to go free, he goes after them as a vigilante who is called The Vigilante.   (Because, hey, why not.   It's still manages to be not quite as bland, on the nose, or generic as Power Man.   Somewhat ridiculous name, check, but this series has so much more going for it than just that.)

From the two people who help him, Terry and JJ, to his fights with his father (who would rather Adrian make money than live life according to his conscience), to the bizarre origin story, there was a lot more here than I expected.  Terry and JJ, for example, help Adrian because they were going through the worst times in their lives, and Adrian and his wife helped them out, to the point of taking at least one of them in at one point.   They cared when no one else did, and Terry and JJ are loyal to Adrian because of this.   (In one issue, this comes to a head: Terry is loyal, and a friend, and loves Adrian unconditionally - but won't help him to do something that she finds morally offensive.  In fact, she leaves.   She still loves him dearly, and I believe she'd still help him if he called and were in trouble, but she can't stand by and watch him kill if it's not in self-defense.   Him asking her is him asking her to compromise her morals, something he won't do for his father.)

And the fact that Adrian has these friends, and he is as involved in their lives as they are in his, makes this far more than an unhinged loner, like the Punisher.   There are hints of Marvel characters: The Punisher's backstory is incredibly similar, and both Adrian and Matt Murdock are lawyers at heart: they believe in a system meant to help those who have been harmed, and even while they see the legal system as something broken, especially when their cases show them this, they believe in the ideal that the legal system represents.   Order, and an orderly way to help those who have been done harm by fellow man.

(I say this because even though there is waffling on Adrian's part, and even though he goes after those that the legal system hasn't worked for, he still allows the legal system to do its thing before he gets involved.   The going after those that are let go?   That's more of the Punisher's deal, though.)

I love this book.   The only reason it took men so long to read this is I kinda hate the Hoopla reader: the Comixology reader has spoiled me because it's so smooth!

And yes, I said I would mention it.   There's one stereotyped black character, very much so, but most of the characters - white or black - aren't.   They're complex, real people.   Cyborg is the best experience of a black character who isn't a stereotype in this, and Wolfman normally is quite good about not making his characters walking, talking cliches, which is probably why this one incident stood out for me.

I'll be keeping my eye out for volume two!