1478 Autobots

Tantor Audio, Becky Chambers, Rachel Dulude
Aaron Klein
Mojo: Conjure Stories
Progress: 64/352pages
Releasing Rage (Cyborg Sizzle Book 1)
Cynthia Sax
Progress: 8/177pages
Trish out of Water Vol. 1
Studio Parlapa, Ruben Curto, Giuseppe Cafaro, Mirka Andolfo, Vince Hernandez
Progress: 39/120pages

I've heard about this title

BLACK #1 - Kwanza Osajyefo, Tim Smith III, Jamal Igle, Robin Riggs, Sarah Stern, Sarah Litt

I've heard about how gorgeous the covers are - they are! - and about how this is an important comic book, especially as it deals with race in today's world.   It does.   When three young, black men are shot by police officers with a vague description of muggers that could describe most of the young black men in that neighborhood, well, one gets up after multiple gunshot wounds.   Not only that, he escapes from the ambulance he's in, and from the cops surrounding him.

And he's not really interested in anything except surviving, unsure of who to trust, until it's revealed to him who, exactly, is getting powers.   And then, he's far more interested in helping others who have these powers: not his, exactly, but powers nonetheless.

This is a good look at the power structure in our world and how it could potentially be changed.   I suspect that this is barely scratching the surface however: it's the first issue in a comic series, or at least a mini-series - Black Mask does a lot of those - and it's setting up how this new world works.

I'm impressed, by not only the writing, or the art, but by the way they work together.   The covers are eye catching, and the art inside - by a different artist - is all black and white, with a raw quality that matches the world building perfectly.

I'll be looking to catch up on this series, hopefully soon.   Another grab bag issue.