1479 Autobots

Tantor Audio, Becky Chambers, Rachel Dulude
Aaron Klein
Mojo: Conjure Stories
Progress: 64/352pages
Releasing Rage (Cyborg Sizzle Book 1)
Cynthia Sax
Progress: 20%

I am Groot charmed me

I Am Groot (2017-) #1 - Christopher Hastings, Flaviano, Marco D'Alfonso

I wasn't going to get into this, but someone mentioned it was amazing and I trust them.   (It was on Twitter; I usually just talk to people about comics, and not very often.)   I trust them because they run a podcast, and seem to really know what they're talking about, and yeah, I know it's dumb, but they've been nice to me, too.   So I was willing to take their word for it, and get this.  I'm likely to try their suggestions again: they've suggested Lemire's Thanos, and while I haven't picked it up because Thanos holds no interest for me as a character, I have enjoyed much of what Lemire writes, and in particular, I've found Lemire's take on Moon Knight not only a joy to read but also quite empowering.

In other words, this looked like it would be good if he said so, and Newbury comics had 25% off all their comics, so ended up picking this up - and enjoying it even more than I expected.   Baby Groot is adorable, as is how frustrated he gets when the rest of the Guardians actually treat him like a baby.   (He seems to be more impulsive than usual, and Rocket says Groot's acting more like a child, or even an infant.)

I understand, though, because even if he has impulse issues, he also has the memories of fighting beside the Guardians, and being an adult.   It's adorable of him wanting to help, regardless, and it's equally as adorable how all the Guardians try to take care of him, and make him feel useful.

Unfortunately, his lack of control separates him from his companions, and has to fend on his own, although he soon makes a new friend.   (Typical: Groot seems to make friends wherever he goes.)

The art is lush, a little more stylistic and even cartoony when focusing on the people, or not-raccoons, or Groots, but the colors are just so amazing I had to stop and stare more than once.   Lovely.   And somehow, this brightness seems to be so in tune with Groot himself that I can't help but adore how well this fits this character.