1479 Autobots

Geoffrey Allan Plauché, Liz Stillwaggon Swan, John R. Shook
Progress: 12/384pages

Love this so much!

Moon Knight (2016-2017) #14 - Jeff Lemire, Greg Smallwood

Moon Knight has dealt with mental illness in the best possible way: Marc Spector knows there is no true cure, that he will continue to be in turmoil because of his condition, but he hasn't accepted or resigned himself to a living death.   In fact, the more he goes on,  the more he wants to live, and to live on his own terms.  There may not be a pill or surgery that can cure him, but he wants to be better.   Part of that is accepting his mental illness, and part of that is finding strength within himself rather than allowing Khonshu to manipulate him, and his multiple personalities, something he's been building up to in the past storyline.

The way that he navigates the murky waters of having multiple personalities and a mental illness has become more and more nuanced.   Wanting to get better doesn't translate into getting better automatically.    Spector has an uphill battle ahead of him, and it's one that he not only takes seriously, but he is determined to fight until he can fight no longer.

This series is changing lives, and changing them for the better.   It's changing the way I look at mental illness, and the way I treat myself when I'm depressed or anxious.   And I know that just because it works for me, it doesn't mean it works for anyone else: I can cling to something that helps me and ignore problematic issues or become willfully blind to save myself from having to acknowledge that and work out the dissonance.   But the thing is that I actually look at the letters column for this series, at least occasionally, and that means something because I ignore them in most series.    I'm not the only one.   People who suffer from all kinds of mental health issues write in to say that this series, and Spector's struggles, truly mean something to them.

Having this stated, that he's suffering but wants to be better is a very, very strong, and positive message.   And while I don't like Marvel and what they're doing in general, I do hope Moon Knight is safe from those things.   Lemire is doing such good work here, and I'm afraid on two levels: that Hydra trying to gaslight Spector will set him back and that this will taint this series for me.

And quite frankly, I'm feeling protective of Spector, more so than most superheroes right now.   I don't want to see anything threaten the progress he's making, especially since so many are looking towards this series to make an even more positive message to those who suffer from the same, or similar, conditions.   Your life is worthwhile, your life is worth fighting for, and even without a tried and true cure, yeah, you can work to make yourself - and your life - better.

This writing makes me swoon to be honest.

And the art has been, and continues to be, moody, atmospheric, and even cloying when needed.   It feels as suffocating as my own depression and anxiety do at times, and it just makes the writing resonate even more.

Beautiful.   Writing and art, and especially these two together.