1480 Autobots

Hannibal Tabu, Michael Turner
Progress: 6/31pages
Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme (2016-) #1
Robbie Thompson, Rafael Albuquerque, Javier Rodriguez

Marvel shows the dark side of humanity without making the villains seem unsympathetic

Kingpin (2003-2004) #1 - Bruce Jones, Sean Phillips, Esad Ribic

It's kind of ironic that I feel more sympathy for The Kingpin, who's painted as a monster, than Hawkeye, who's trying to do good, but is so casually oblivious about his assholeness that I wanted someone to fucking stab him at... a lot of points.

The Kingpin, who is Wilson Fisk, is a man who rules with a tight fist, that he has no hesitation about using as a weapon if someone fails him, or ignores him, or disrespects him.   He is also willing and able to pit people against each other in order to take out those who stand in his way, not even batting an eye at demoting or sacrificing his loyal people to get what he wants.   He sees the world as Trump does, in that there are winners or losers.   You are strode upon, or you stride upon the backs of others.   In fact, both men cower to overbearing fathers as children, although Fisk has it beaten into him - at least in some backstories - that this is the way the world works.   (And just to clarify: I don't know what happened to Trump as a child, but I have heard quotes from The Art of the Deal that were watered down versions of what he told the author - and it seems to me that Trump's father was overbearing.)

The difference, for me, between Trump and Fisk is that Fisk is not overtly misogynistic and racist.   He keeps his calm and while he won't brook disrespect, because he believes it will leave him open to further attacks, he doesn't take it as personally as Trump does.   He certainly has the self control to allow the wound to fester in private until the appropriate time to react comes.   He is patient and thoughtful and only strikes when it's the optimum time to do so.   But all of this - his patience, and his ability to judge people personally rather than if they're women or people of color - come from one of his differences.   He wasn't born rich.   He had to fight for what he got, and no expectations that others would bend to his will.   He knew that needling and threatening did more than publicly decrying people in a way that made him look worse than those he was attacking.

It's why later in his life, Fisk will treat his wife, Vanessa, respectfully.   Not only would he not dare to objectify her, he wouldn't allow anyone else to do so without killing them.    Then again, he didn't just want a nice piece of ass; he fell in love with her for her brains, as well as her body.

So this got weird.   Let's just say this does a fantastic job of mining our darker instincts without being so offensive I wanted to punch anyone.   Lovely.