1480 Autobots
442 Decepticons
allhailgrimlock

Grimlock ♥ Vision

ODY-C Vol. 2
Leonard Bacon;Joseph Parrish Thompson;Richard Salter Storrs;Henry Ward Beecher;Joshua Leavitt;Henry Chandler Bowen;Theodore Tilton;William Hayes Ward;Hamilton Holt;Harold de Wolf Fuller;Fabian Franklin;Christian Archibald Herter, Matt Fraction
Progress: 10/119pages
Progress: 8%
Inhumans By Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee
Paul Jenkins, Jae Lee
Progress: 12/276pages
Bots - Tome 1 (French Edition)
Aurélien Ducoudray, Steve Baker
Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy
Michael Chabon, Andrew Bolton, Andrew Bolton
A Long December
Richard Chizmar
Progress: 20%

Not as bad as I'd expected

Tender Wings of Desire - Colonel Sanders

I read this fully expecting to hate this.  I figured this would be just a hilarious hate read.   A Colonel Sanders romance?   How could it be anything but a hot mess?   The truth is that the writing was technically good; they picked an author who clearly cared about both grammar and creating a plausible story.   I did have issues, such as while this used a bunch of romance tropes, they felt exaggerated enough to be hilarious.   However, I feel like much of this was done tongue-in-cheek.   I also think at one of the big reveals at the end, the author realized there was no way to do this without being absolutely ridiculous and was just like 'okay, that's how you're gonna be gig?   Fine.'   It wasn't mocking, or overly ridiculous, but I wouldn't expect the author to poke fun at the franchise paying them, either.   They just wrote it with aplomb, as seriously as possible, but I ended up giggling throughout this part.   (I got the impression that the author knew it was going to be laughed at, but again, just rolled with it as best they could.  Or maybe I just hope that's the case?)

Again, either the author was gently poking fun at romance tropes, or didn't write romance, but some of this felt eye-roll worthy.  I also never really cared for either the heroine or the hero, despite being given detailed histories about both of them.  I didn't feel this was a fiery passionate love story, either.  I just felt kinda 'meh' about it all, and I think this might be part of writing for a franchise that you don't really care about.   (If you read media tie-ins, or comics, it's likely that the authors are passionate about the whole medium.   Not always, but most of the time, and that shows.   I felt like the reason these characters weren't as richly developed, though, was that the author was writing for money.   And hey, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe they love nothing more than Kentucky Fried Chicken and dream of marrying the good Colonel.   I just got the feeling that not so much, and it was more of a good natured 'let's do this.'   What is more odd to me is the obvious care given to the character histories, the plot, and the world given that the characters were so lackluster.)

I couldn't stop reading this.   And it was only half morbid curiosity this time.  I actually found myself enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would.   I think part of this was unintentional comedy, but I figured it would be all that.   I read on because I was intrigued by where the plot would go, too, and that sure was a pleasant surprise.   Would I read another KFC/restaurant romance?   Yeah, sure, after this I would.  I'd be hesitant to pay for it given the issues I had; I downloaded this for free, and while my enjoyment, and the technical merits, gained it a three star, I doubt I'd pay for another one of these.

I wouldn't mind some KFC, though, and may go for some tomorrow.   And I suspect that KFC would be happy for me to read another free story if it got me to eat their food, so I also suspect it's mission accomplished for them.