1481 Autobots
444 Decepticons
allhailgrimlock

Grimlock ♥ Inhumans

The Dragon God's Son: 1 (The Gods of Myth)
Mallory Kellogg
Progress: 28%
Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1
Jiro Kuwata, Jiro Kuwata
Progress: 15/352pages
The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
Daniel N. Joudrey, Arlene G. Taylor
Uncanny Inhumans (2015-) #0
Charles Soule, Steve McNiven

So, yay!

Avengers (2016-) #7 - Mark Waid, Phil Noto, Alex Ross

When the Infamous Iron Man - and by this I mean Victor Von Doom, who dons Iron Man armor all the while doing things like taking out brilliant scientist who are amoral, or just flat out evil - tells the Avengers he needs them to work for them, well, they're all skeptical.   Except, oddly enough, Nadia Pym, who has taken up the mantle of The Wasp, and and who has a messed up childhood in which her scientific acumen saved her from having to kill anyone in the red room.   She might not like Von Doom personally - although she does get chummy with him - although I believe this is partly her not fully understanding what he'd done and partly her optimism, which is, at times naive.   (Even Von Doom concedes that she's naive, and I imagine it would hard to be anything but given how sheltered she was in Russia; coerced into her actions, yes, but she didn't see much of the world.  I also believe this is what allows her to not fully comprehend who Dr. Doom is: she hasn't witnessed, or been affected, by his past actions in a concrete way.   Her childhood could leave her cynical and wary of everyone, or her optimism could remain intact, partly by a willful ignorance of things like what Doom's done.   And on one hand, I love her childlike belief that people will be good, or at least that the good people will prevail, but on the other hand... I think willful ignorance has to play into this in some part, due to what she's been through.   I end up landing at 'but this allows her to deal with her own trauma and to be a hero,' so I'm okay with that.   The girl's been through enough that I'm not going to lash out at her for dealing with things the way she needs to.)

Anyway, Doom explains he needs them to explore something somewhere he can't go.   But where would that be?   A girl's camp, of course.   It would cause panic.  I also feel like Doom might be scared of your more typical teenage girls, so also in the future?   If Doom turns evil again, just hide the people he's targeting amongst teen girls.   Him being afraid of them, though, is hilarious.   Although I suspect that he could have done this on his own, despite his reasonable objections.   He could have, and would have, told himself that it was for the greater good and gone in despite his list of reasons this was a bad idea.     And the brilliant thing about this is I bought them all, hook, line and sinker.   I got so engrossed I didn't second guess things, and playing this off with humor helped me let down my shields.

Dr. Doom has an ulterior motive and one that I didn't come close to guessing.   It's also something that makes me think the the might truly be good - or at the very least not villainous.   (His tactics put him strictly as an anti-hero, at least, and while I might root for The Punisher, I don't think of him as a good man.   He's more a fleshed out revenge fantasy, really.   And hey, I love it enough to be following the current series and I followed others, but he's not purely a hero, nor in my list of good characters.)

I'm really enjoying this run of Waid's.   And while the art on the first six issues was excellent from a technical standpoint, I wasn't digging it as much as I had other artists takes on this team.   I'm preferring Noto, particularly his take on Vision.   I started reading Avengers for my eye candy - Vision - so not enjoying him as much visually in the first six issue did impact some of my readings and reviews.  (And I think my friends know I have no problem calling out subpar work; this was not that.   It was simply a personality clash, mostly because I'm super picky about Vision.)

I'm eager to pick up more of this series.   I also did some research: it looks like Phil Noto is filling in for two issues, and then Del Mundo takes up the art duties again.   I know artists can get to the point where they need breaks, and I know this bothers some people.   I actually understand, and even can enjoy these breaks.   While I'd been hoping Noto would stay on just because I objectively enjoy his art more, I can't emphasize enough how good Del Mundo is, and I can't say I'm upset that he'll be coming back.   (I did more research: the majority of reviews seem to enjoy the art much more than I do.   Which goes right back to this being a 'me' thing.)

Love, love, love.   This issue in particular balanced the humor and suspense, and I feel like it revealed a lot about The Wasp.   Even though I knew how good hearted she was, this showed me she was even more optimistic and idealistic than I suspected.   And even if there's that element of naivety to make her that way, I quickly ended up deciding that this made me love her all the more.   I'd enjoy seeing more of Nadia taking a larger role in the Avengers, especially after this issue.