1482 Autobots
447 Decepticons
allhailgrimlock

Grimlock ♥ Inhumans

The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
Daniel N. Joudrey, Arlene G. Taylor
Mojo: Conjure Stories
Progress: 64/352pages

Um, yes, please!

Quantum Teens Are Go #1 - Black Mask Studios

I have a short fuse right now, between people still talking about Richard Spencer like he shouldn't be punched in the face - guys, guys, I just researched and found he's called for "Black Genocide" or at least eugenics of black people, so I am now 100% on board okay with him getting punched in the face again, Marvel turning Magneto into a nazi, and the tire place dicking me around.   (Thanks, what I really wanted was my tire to constantly deflate like it does.   Made an online appointment for Wednesday, but fuck that noise: I'm going in tomorrow morning and saying 'you've been dicking me around on lots of things, FIX THIS!!!!)   I had to go to them THREE times for one thing, and now this tire thing is making me mad at them.

Basically I have little patience for things, and I will call out all the problematic shit.   Like Kim and Kim, which was written by the same author, this comic deals with a trans woman, and includes friction between her and a parent.   With Kim, it was her father who loved her deeply, but still thought of her as a son.   With Natalie - once Brandon - her mother is having a tough time dealing with the transition, and still calling Nat 'Brandon.'   She also seems to think that Natalie has changed since the transition, and is side eying the things Natalie is doing, like sneaking out to meet boys.   Specifically her boyfriend, although to be fair they're not doing what Nat's mom thinks.   (Sex, I'm sure.   I'm not sure she'd be relieved to learn they're stealing things from defunct science labs to build a spaceship, that accidentally turned into plans for a time machine because sometimes that's how building a spaceship goes.)

I've read a bit about the author, who wants to tell a story about a trans character that isn't, as she describes it, toxic.   (And I'm trusting her on this; she's a trans woman and I am not.   I do see a struggle with family members as a theme in her works, but I suspect that may be built on personal experience.   I suspect this because the parents do struggle, but also still love their children deeply and don't disown them, or deny them safety or protection, due to the transition.   In other words, there's just enough that's the same between the two that I see a pattern that may very well be personal experience, thus my suspicions.)

Another thing that Kim and Kim and Quantum Teens have in common is batshit insane science fiction fun.   Kim and Kim was little more off the wall, but I read the whole first series; this may grow to match, or exceed, the previous series.    And as always, the author has fun with her stories, and it shines through this.   The thing is that while the stories being told are for trans women - and people, they're also fun.   (And the introduction to Kim and Kim talked about trans people not getting happy endings; the author herself talks about avoiding toxic tropes and storylines when it comes to the trans community.   It would be a hard case to make that these stories aren't written for the trans community.)    The classic feel of the science fiction - that is the pure fun of possibilities, no matter how weird or off-the-wall - makes this more accessible.   And look, I'd be interested without that aspect, but I'm more interested with it, because I like that kind of story.   And there's no reason the writer can't do both - she clearly can, because Kim and Kim was popular enough to get her a contract for three more stories - but I think by not focusing purely on a more biographical story about being trans, and making it something else, it made the story more accessible to more people due to the two areas of interest that these stories present.   (Although I think there's a better reason for doing both, and one that makes the story the most accessible of all: the writer not only cares about trans issues, but is telling stories that she finds fun.   She's telling the stories the way she wants, and her pleasure in writing these makes it all the more fun to read.)

Love, love, love!