1482 Autobots

Grimlock ♥ Inhumans

Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1
Jiro Kuwata, Jiro Kuwata
Progress: 15/352pages
The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
Daniel N. Joudrey, Arlene G. Taylor
Mojo: Conjure Stories
Progress: 64/352pages

Aw, yeah, Flinstones comics

The Flintstones (2016-) Vol. 1 - Mark Russell, Steve Pugh

I was... never going to read this.   Never, ever.  I really, really hate Flinstones, and always have.   Mostly, it seemed insipid to me, at least when compared with other toons or TV shows I could watch.   I don't laugh at jokes when I don't find them funny, and I didn't find Flinstones funny.   And while I understand that DC is owned by Warner Brothers, and so is Hanna Barbara, and while I understand that Flinstones is popular enough to have its own series, meh.  I figured it would just regurgitate the TV show.

And then I read the reviews, saying this was a surprise hit.   I read about how no one would expect something so real and true and smart from a Flinstones comics.   And while my sister and I were talking about old cartoons that had hidden depths, and that she wasn't surprised this comic would be done so well.  I said I was still surprised because Flinstones was not part of this tradition.

Still, I hesitated.   What if the people who said this liked the original show and there was some kind of bias?   Still, I clicked borrow on Hoopla and ended up flying through this volume.   Love, love, love!   It wasn't bias at all.   This was clever and hip, and spoke to the human condition, including hypocrisy, fear, and all things that aren't that lovely about us.   On the other hand, it does talk about redemption in some ways, and it talks about love and how deeply we can love our fellow man, or our families.

I was especially impressed with Bamm-Bamm.   I didn't really expect much to come of him, and even though the comic was setting up his origin, I didn't see it until the reveal.   I love what it says about Barney and Betty, and again, particularly Barney.   It doesn't come out and say it, but I think there's a huge redemptive arc with him - and I'm a sucker for those.

This is seriously worth checking out and I can't wait for volume two to come out on Hoopla.